Education is not preparation for life; education is life itself.
- John Dewey
I would like to welcome you to the 2019–2020 school year! I want you to know that as Mrs. Fleming said in her "foolproof" recipe for a school many years ago, our goal is to "stretch" the students in our care in the areas of study, in co-curricular activities such as athletics and the arts, and in service to others. In short, we aim to develop students in the timeless arenas of the true, the good, and the beautiful, as scripted on our M. Crist Fleming Library (Verum, Bonum, Pulchrum), or as Aristotle categorized, the intellectual and moral virtues. We thank you for entrusting us with this important responsibility and look forward to another wonderful year in Montagnola!
– Christopher Nikoloff, Headmaster
|Friday, September 6||HS Boat Dance|
|Monday, September 9||TPA Coffee and Conversation • 9:30, Villa Principe Leopoldo Hotel|
|Thursday, September 12||MS/HS Founder's Day Assembly|
|Wednesday, September 18||TPA Welcome Luncheon • 12:00, Casa Fleming|
|Monday, September 23||Consular services for American citizens • 16:30, Palmer Center|
|Wednesday, September 25||HS Parent Coffee • 8:30, Casa Fleming|
|Thursday–Friday, October 3–4||School Portrait Days|
|Monday, October 7||No classes for MS/HS (ES has classes that day.)|
|Thursday, October 10||Autumn Aperitifs • 18:30, The View (Lugano)|
|Friday–Saturday, October 11–12||Family Weekend|
Please refer to tasis.ch/calendar for a more comprehensive look at upcoming events.
TASIS Parent Point of Contact Information
Please consult this document for information about how to best contact your child and the people on campus who are most directly responsible for his or her well-being. Please note that while this information is particularly geared toward the parents of boarding students, much of it is also relevant for the parents of day students.
High School Daily Schedule
Visit tasis.ch/hsschedule to download a JPG version of the schedule for your phone or a PDF version to print.
Student Activities Offered this Weekend
This weekend's activities include a boat dance on Lake Lugano Friday evening (see details below), shopping trips to Grancia Saturday morning and afternoon, a campfire with S'Mores on Saturday evening, and trips to Valle Verzasca or the Melide Lido Sunday afternoon.
Weekend activities are open to all day and boarding students. Students should consult the HS Daily Bulletin for more details about each activity.
Boat Dance Information
The annual High School Boat Dance will take place tonight from 20:00 to 22:00. Formal attire is required, and the schedule is as follows:
- 18:45—dress code check-in on TASIS campus
- 19:00—bus 1 departs from TASIS campus and goes to Paradiso boat dock
- 19:15—bus 2 departs from TASIS campus and goes to Paradiso boat dock
- 22:00—depart from Paradiso boat dock back and return to TASIS campus
- 22:30—arrive back on TASIS campus for dorm check-in
PLEASE NOTE: Due to limited space on the buses, all day students should meet the TASIS group at the Paradiso boat dock at 20:00.
Join Us at Villa Principe Leopoldo on Monday
All parents are invited to the TPA's first "Coffee & Conversation" at the Villa Principe Leopoldo Hotel on Monday, September 9, at 9:30 AM. Come to chat with other High School parents about student life, academics, the IB/AP programs, university applications, and more. You will also meet leaders from the High School's Parent Support Committee (PSC) and learn more about the group.
We especially look forward to meeting all incoming 9th-grade parents and parents of High School students who are new to TASIS this year!
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Founder's Day Assembly Next Week
On Thursday, September 12, from 15:10–15:55, we will hold a special assembly in the Palestra to honor the incredible life of TASIS Founder M. Crist Fleming. There will be an alternate schedule that day:
Upcoming Sports Action
|Saturday, Sept 14||Varsity Boys Volleyball • ISSL Tournament||TASIS Palestra||9:00|
|Saturday, Sept 14||Varsity Girls Volleyball • ISSL Tournament||ZIS||9:00|
|Saturday, Sept 14||Junior Varsity Girls Volleyball • ISSL Tournament||ISZL||9:00|
|Saturday, Sept 14||Cross Country runs the Gemmi Pass||Leukerbad||9:00|
For a more comprehensive list of upcoming games, see this page on the TASIS website.
College Counseling News
Event for Parents of Students in Grade 12/Postgraduate:
- When: Tuesday, September 17, 19:00–20:30
- Where: College Counseling Office (Via dei Berra 7 in Certenago)
- What: This will be an informal program for parents of 12th-grade and Postgraduate students to discuss how parents can best support their child through the university application process and to explain the timeline, responsibilities (counselor, student, and parent), and procedures of the application process.
- Learn more: Please contact Mr. Greg Birk, Director of University and College Counseling, with any questions.
Upcoming College Representative Visits:
- September 9, 15:45, College Counseling Office: University of St. Andrews
- September 19, 15:45, College Counseling Office: Hult International Business School (London, Boston, San Francisco)
- September 20, 15:45, College Counseling Office: Bentley University
- September 26, 15:45, Sahenk Art Room: Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA)—including portfolio review
- October 15, 15:45, College Counseling Office: The New School, Parsons, Parsons Paris
- October 16, 15:45, College Counseling Office: Boston University
- October 21, 15:45, College Counseling Office: SBS Swiss Business School
- November 11, 19:00, Monticello 1 & 2:
- Suffolk University
- Suffolk University Madrid
- Webster University Geneva
- Franklin University Switzerland
- Richmond, The American International University in London
- Saint Louis University Madrid
- John Cabot University (Rome)
- City, University of London
- University of East Anglia
- University of Reading
- University of Essex
- Goldsmiths, University of London
- American University of Rome
- November 13, 15:45, College Counseling Office:
- November 27, 15:45, College Counseling Office: IE University
Standardized Testing Information:
- Please review the 2019–2020 TASIS Standardized Testing Recommendations/Schedule
- SAT test dates and registration deadlines for 2019–2020:
- October 5 (Registration deadline: today, September 6)
- November 2—Subject Tests ONLY, and please note that Language Subject Tests with Listening will not be offered again until May 2021 (Registration deadline: Oct 3)
- December 7 (Registration deadline: Nov 8)
- March 14—SAT ONLY/NO Subject Tests (Registration deadline: Feb 14)
- May 2 (Registration deadline: April 3)
- June 6—Subject Tests ONLY (Registration deadline: May 8)
- ACT test dates and registration deadlines for 2019–2020:
- September 14
- October 12—Family Weekend (Registration deadline: Sept 20)
- December 14 (Registration deadline: Nov 22)
- February 8 (Registration deadline: Jan 17)
- April 4 (during Spring Holiday—test available at other testing centers)
- June 13 (school closed—test available at other testing centers)
- TOEFL Fall Semester test dates:
- September 28
- October 19
- November 9
- December 7
- Registration information will be sent from email@example.com when the registration period for each exam opens. TASIS is a closed test center, and a registration code is required.
TPA Welcome Lunch on September 18
All parents are invited to Casa Fleming on the main TASIS campus between 12:00–14:00 on Wednesday, September 18, to enjoy a delicious lunch and hear from TASIS Parent Association (TPA) President Jennifer Hung-Zanarini about upcoming events and plans for the year.
Consular Services Offered at TASIS on September 23
We cordially invite all American citizens to a consular services event on the afternoon of Monday, September 23, from 16:30–18:30. To request an appointment, please send an email to BernConsOutreach@state.gov.
Representatives from the US Embassy in Bern will be on hand to offer the following services:
- Passport applications
- Consular report of birth abroad applications
- Notarial services
There is no cost to attend the event, but fees may be incurred for consular services and are payable in Swiss francs (cash only). For more information about documentary requirements and applicable fees, visit the US Embassy in Switzerland and Lichtenstein website.
Save the Date: Autumn Aperitifs on October 10
Dismissal Process: A Few Tips
We understand that the after-school pickup process can be quite hectic and very much appreciate your patience as we strive to create a safe environment for the whole community. Below are a few suggestions you may find helpful if you typically drive to the main TASIS campus to pick up your child:
- If the parking lot next to Hadsall is full when you come to pick up your child, you may want to try the lot on Via Matorèll.
- If you would prefer to avoid the busiest pick-up period, you may want to consider waiting in the cemetery lot (across from Sant'Abbondio) until you see the Romantic Tour buses going down the hill. At that point you can drive up to the TASIS campus and pick up your child without much hassle.