Beauty surrounds us, but usually we need to be walking in a garden to know it.
|Saturday, January 19||Yoga Marathon • 9:00–17:00, Dance Studio|
|Tuesday, January 22||College Planning Meeting for Parents of 11th Graders|
|Thursday, January 24||Italian Potluck • 12:00, Montagnola|
|Friday, January 25–Sunday, January 27||Winter Photography Exhibition|
|Monday, February 4||No classes for HS and MS|
|Tuesday, February 5||TASIS Speaker Series: Mike Lesslie • 19:00, Palmer Center|
|Monday, February 11—Friday, February 15||International Week|
|Wednesday, February 13||HS Parent Coffee • 8:30, Casa Fleming|
|Saturday, February 23—Friday, March 1||Spring Academic Travel|
Student Activities Offered this Weekend
The Boarding Program is pleased to offer students the following activities this weekend:
Friday, January 18
- Sushi/Asian fusion trip Ponte Tresa—meet at the Gazebo at 18:30. Sign up here.
- Guardians of the Galaxy in the Snack Bar with pizza at 20:00. No need to sign up in advance.
Saturday, January 19
- Foxtown trip—meet at Gazebo at 13:00. Sign up here.
- Ski trip to Andermatt or Airolo—meet at Gazebo at 9:00. Sign up here.
- Yoga Marathon in the Dance Studio from 9:00–17:00. See details below.
Sunday, January 20
- Pancakes in the Lanterna kitchen beginning at 10:30. No need to sign up in advance.
- Splash and Spa trip—meet at Gazebo at 12:00. CHF 27 to splash, CHF 44 to splash and spa. Sign up here.
Advisor Meetings and Assembly Next Week
Next week grades 10 and 11 will have class meetings and Advisor meetings about the college counseling process while grades 9 and 12 will focus on stress management. Student musicians will perform at Thursday’s assembly.
A Reminder About Winter Dress Code
This is a reminder that all students must abide by the Winter Dress Code. Please note that outer layers—including sweaters and coats—must have the TASIS crest, and wearing Uggs is not permitted. See the Uniforms section of the High School Student Handbook for more specific details.
The TASIS Uniform Shop is on the ground floor of Monticello (across from the vending machines) and is open each Tuesday and Thursday from 10:00–13:00.
Last Chance to Register for Yoga Marathon!
The “Serving Southern Africa” Yoga Marathon will kick off tomorrow morning at 9:00 and will feature yoga classes until 17:00, a healthy lunch provided by Beautyful Greens, and a raffle with many exciting prizes. All proceeds will benefit Serving Southern Africa, an Opsahl Global Service Program group that travels to Zambia and Botswana for two weeks each year. Please visit tasis.ch/yogamarathon to register for yoga classes and see more details about this community-building event.
TASIS’s Serving Southern Africa partner Lynne Mendelsohn, who gave up her comfortable life as a corporate lawyer in the UK to move to Zambia and devote her days to helping impoverished children gain access to education, spoke to TASIS Middle School and High School students at assemblies this week and urged them to do all they can to build a better world. She highly encourages all members of the TASIS community to consider participating in the Yoga Marathon or to simply make a donation. (There is an option to make a donation at the bottom of the registration page.)
College Counseling News
College Planning Meeting for Parents of 11th Graders
- Tuesday, January 22, from 19:00-20:30 in the College Counseling Office
- This informal program for parents of 11th-grade students will provide an opportunity to meet the university/college counseling staff and learn about the counseling and programming provided from now through graduation for the Class of 2020.
Upcoming College Representative Visits
- Monday, January 21, at 15:45 in the College Counseling Office: Swiss School of Management (Rome)
- Thursday, January 24, at 15:50 in the College Counseling Office: Rustic Pathways (Culturally immersive adventure and community service programs)
- Friday, January 25, at 15:45 in the College Counseling Office: École Hôtelière de Lausanne (EHL)
- Monday, January 28, at 15:45 in the College Counseling Office: ESADE
Interested 12th-grade students should register via Naviance to attend the meetings. All other students can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
Standardized Testing Information
TASIS 2018-2019 Standardized Testing Recommendations/Schedule (recently modified)
- SAT Registration Deadline Reminders
- March 9, 2019: SAT (only)—register by February 8
- May 4, 2019: SAT/SAT Subject Tests—register by April 5
- June 1, 2019: SAT Subject Tests (only)—register by May 3
- ACT Information
- The last 2018-2019 ACT administered at TASIS will be on February 9—register by January 11 (limited spaces available)
- "Which ACT Prep is Right for Me?" Webinar: Wednesday, January 23, at 16:00
- This webinar is designed to inform students and parents about test prep options created by the makers of the ACT.
- Additional ACT administrations are available at other testing centers:
- April 13—register by March 8
- June 8—register by May 3
- Spring TOEFL administrations:
- January 26
- February 16
- March 16
- May 11
- Please contact email@example.com for registration details.
Franklin University Academic Summit
Saturday, February 16, from 11:00–18:30 at Franklin University
Topic: “Climate Change: Swiss realities and Swiss future”
- This program is open to students who would like to explore this topic while interacting with university students and professors.
- For more information, call 091 986 3613 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use this link to register or learn more.
|Upcoming Athletic Contests|
|January 18||Varsity Girls Basketball vs. ASMilan||TASIS|
|January 19||Varsity Badminton • ISSL Tournament||ICSZ|
|January 22||Varsity Boys Basketball vs. ASMilan||ASM|
|January 26||Varsity Girls Basketball • ISSL Tournament||ISZL|
|Recent Athletic Results|
|January 12||Varsity Boys Basketball • ISSL Tournament||3rd Place, Results|
|January 12||Varsity Girls Basketball • ISSL Tournament||4th Place, Results|
TPA Italian Potluck Next Thursday
This is a reminder that all TASIS parents are cordially invited to an Italian Potluck hosted at the home of Francesca Varano in Montagnola on Thursday, January 24, at 12:00. Please bring your favorite dish to share and confirm your attendance by sending an email to email@example.com.
Upcoming Cultural Events
The Cultural Events Program at TASIS provides valuable cultural opportunities both on and off campus that are geared toward aspiring student artists. All members of the TASIS community (students, faculty, staff, parents, alumni, and friends of the School) are welcome to attend cultural events that take place on campus while off-campus trips are reserved for students and their chaperones.
Upcoming events include the annual Winter Photography Exhibition, in which the work of TASIS student photographers will be presented in the Palmer Center, on January 25–27 (anyone is welcome); an overnight trip to Basel to visit the Vitra Design Museum and see Grünewald's Isenheim Altar on January 25–26 (for TASIS students only); and a performance by the renowned Archimia Quartet in the Palmer Center at 19:00 on January 31 (anyone is welcome, required for 10th-grade students).
See the Cultural Events calendar on the TASIS website for more information about upcoming events.
Join Us for Mike Lesslie’s TSS Address on February 5
The next TASIS Speaker Series (TSS) event will be a visit from distinguished screenwriter and playwright Mike Lesslie, who will address the seniors on Tuesday, February 5, at 19:00 in the Palmer Center. Mr. Lesslie is best known for writing the screenplays for major film productions of Macbeth (2015) and Assassin's Creed (2016) and has also amassed many playwright credits.
In partnership with the TPA, TASIS is opening all TSS events to parents who would like to attend the lectures. Any parents who would like to attend Mr. Lesslie's address on February 5 should send an email to TSS Committee Chair Peter Locke to reserve a seat.
Resort Collina d’Oro Offers Discount to TASIS Families
As mentioned before the holidays, Resort Collina d’Oro in Agra is offering a 10 percent discount to TASIS families interested in a six-month or 12-month membership to the resort’s Spa and Fitness Center. All TASIS parents and TASIS students aged 16 and over are eligible for this discount. Contact Resort Collina d’Oro at +41 91 641 1111 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
The resort also invites TASIS families to take part in its upcoming Valentine’s Day celebration. See below for details.