Leadership is practiced not so much in words as in attitude and in actions.
– Harold S. Geneen
|Friday–Sunday, November 16–18||HS Fall Play: antigone/CAESAR (reserve seats)|
|Friday, November 23||All-school: no classes|
|Tuesday, November 27||Sweet November Dance Company performance|
|Friday, November 30||TPA Holiday Market and Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony|
|Saturday, December 8||MS Christmas Celebration for students and faculty|
|Sunday, December 9||All-School Christmas Service|
|Friday, December 14||Last day of classes before Winter Holiday|
|Saturday, December 15||Dormitories close at 16:00|
Last Chance to Reserve Seats for antigone/CAESAR!
This year’s High School Fall play, the double tragedy antigone/CAESAR, will officially premiere in the Palmer Center tonight at 19:30 and will also be performed Saturday at 19:30 and Sunday at 14:30.
To learn more about the inspiration behind this year’s unique play and hear Director Valerie Bijur Carlson’s thoughts on her talented cast and crew, read this engaging article by Bryan Soh ’18.
Ornaments needed for Christmas trees
TPA members will be decorating four live Christmas trees on the TASIS campus. If your family would like to donate an ornament for the trees, please bring it to campus on Monday, November 19. Ornaments can be dropped off in a well-marked car that will be located in the parking lot near the Gazebo from 7:30–19:00 that day.
TPA Thanksgiving potluck on November 22
All parents are invited to a Thanksgiving TPA potluck hosted at the home of Francesca Varano in Montagnola on Tuesday, November 22, at 12:30. Bring your favorite dish to share! Please confirm your availability by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No School Next Friday
This is a reminder that there will be no school on Friday, November 23. We will send next week’s bulletin on Thursday, and classes will resume on Monday, November 26.
Sweet November Dance Company to Perform on November 27
Sweet November Dance Company (SNDC) is excited to unveil an evening of original choreography at its Fall Concert on Tuesday, November 27, from 18:30–19:15 in the Palmer Center.
This enthusiastic company is made up of TASIS High School students who dedicate their Sunday afternoons to learning company ensemble works from tap to contemporary dance numbers. The concert will include original faculty- and student-choreographed works with live and recorded accompaniment. The company, directed by Ms. Julie Frazier-Smith, will be joined on stage by dancers from the TASIS Faculty and even by student tap dancers from Focolare. Please come join the dance celebration of the season and make your November a little sweeter!
Learn more about Sweet November Dance Company and watch the debut performance from November 2017 here.
Holiday Market and Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony on November 30
All members of the TASIS community and their guests are invited to commence the holiday season with the annual TPA Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony at 16:30 and Holiday Market from 15:30–18:30 on Friday, November 30. A valet parking service will be available in the main campus parking lot from 16:00–19:00. Please note that no cars will be allowed into the parking lot until the buses depart at 16:00.
- Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony: Beginning at 16:30, this annual event will be hosted by Mr. Nikoloff with music provided by the TASIS choir.
- Service Learning Program Fundraiser: High School students will be selling crafts, baked goods, holiday treats, and other delicious food at booths on the outdoor basketball court from 15:30–18:30. All proceeds will support TASIS service-learning groups and their partner organizations.
- Winter Village: Beginning at 16:45, Elementary School students will be invited inside the Winter Village in the Palmer Center to enjoy holiday crafts. Admission into the Winter Village is CHF 15 per child.
- Used Uniform Sale: This sale will be open to all divisions in the Palmer Center lobby.
All-School Christmas Service on December 9
The annual All-School Christmas Service will be held at the church of San Nicolao della Flüe at 15:30 on the afternoon of Sunday, December 9. More details regarding rehearsal schedules and plans for the service itself will be sent by email soon. (Please note that only members of the ES Choir will be participating in the All-School Christmas Concert whereas all ES students participate in the ES Christmas Concert on December 14. See details below.)
EAL Film Program for Introduction to MS Academic English class (Mrs. Guarnieri Rosso’s class)
All of Ms. Guarnieri Rosso’s students in the Introduction to MS Academic English class are required to follow this program outside of regular academic hours. This project has been designed to provide students the opportunity to learn English through the analysis of film while being guided by expert faculty.
The first film session will be held today, November 16, from 15:45–18:00 and tomorrow, November 17, from 10:00–12:00. The students will be watching A Christmas Carol.
Midterm grades and comments will be released on Monday, November 19. Students will receive an academic and effort grade along with a comment from each teacher.
Assemblies and Advisor Meetings This Week
During Wednesday’s assembly, High School Theater Director Ms. Valerie Bijur Carlson discussed antigone/ CAESAR, and on Thursday afternoon MS students watched the final dress rehearsal.
Winter Term After-School Sports and Activities
The Winter Term begins on Monday, November 19. Please see the meeting points and other details below.
- Boys Basketball: Mondays & Wednesdays, 16:00–17:30. Starts on Monday, November 19, and Wednesday, November 21. Meeting point: outside the Palestrina at 16:00.
- Girls Basketball: Mondays & Wednesdays, 16:00–17:30. Starts on Monday, November 19, and Wednesday, November 21. Meeting point: outside the Palestrina at 16:00.
- Glass Painting: Tuesdays, 16:00–17:30. Starts on Tuesday, November 20. Meeting point: outside the Campo Science Center at 16:00.
- Choir: Tuesdays, 16:00–17:30. Starts on Tuesday, November 20. Meeting point: Coach House/Music Room at 16:00.
- Dance: Wednesdays, 16:00–17:30. Starts on Wednesday, November 21. Meeting point: outside the Palestrina at 16:00.
- MS Indoor Soccer (Futsal): Fridays, 16:00–17:30. Starts on Friday, November 30. Meeting point: outside the Palestrina at 16:00.
- MS Math: Starts on Friday, November 30. Meeting point: Pagani (Campo Science Center) at 15:20.
- MS Musical: Audition on Tuesday, December 4, from 16:00–18:00. Rehearsals on Thursdays from 16:00–18:00 from January 10–February 21 and on Tuesdays and Thursdays from March 5–May 16. Performances will be May 17–19. Meeting point: Palmer Center at 16:00.
- Ski and Snowboard Club (fee: CHF 500): Dates for our Sunday outings are January 13, January 20, February 10, and February 17. Students who signed up for Ski Club need to complete the Ski Club Form immediately and return it to Mr. Morton.
- The Fall Term Theater activity will continue to meet each Thursday until the performance on Thursday, December 6, at 19:00.Students enrolled in MS Theater will meet next Thursday, November 8, even though other after-school activities will not be meeting.
- MS Robotics will continue until February 19, 2019.
Please contact Mr. Morton, MS After-School Activities Assistant Coordinator, with any further questions.
Upcoming MS Parent Coffee
The next MS Parent Coffee will be held on Wednesday, December 5, from 8:30–9:30 in Casa Fleming. It will be dedicated to MS transitions and changes and will be led by School Counselor Ms. Pamela Waters.
This week’s MS Parent Coffee was led by MS Tech Coordinator Ms. Bloodworth and was dedicated to Technology and Digital Citizenship. After we reviewed our assembly about live streaming, Ms. Bloodworth discussed what parents need to know about Fortnite Battle Royale and screen addiction. The results of a student survey were shared and some tips were provided on setting expectations, rules, and consequences at home.
Please use the links above to learn more about these important topics, and Ms. Bloodworth’s full presentation can be viewed here.
Service Learning News: Christmas Bakers Needed!
The Personnel Appreciation service learning group will host the annual Personnel Appreciation lunch on Wednesday, December 5. All hands on deck for showing off your baking talents! Each year through the generosity and warmth of so many bakers, the personnel have enjoyed this special holiday brunch prepared in their honor. The Personnel Appreciation service learning group works hard to prepare the dining hall, set the tables, and send invitations. We need your help in preparing the brunch. Please contact Ms. Sartorelli or Ms. Wilga if you would like to donate a baked item the morning of the brunch.
MS Christmas Celebration for Students
On Saturday, December 8, the MS will hold its annual Christmas Celebration from 18:30–21:30. A formal dinner will start at 18:30 and be followed by a celebration with games and dancing. Students who participate may not arrive later than 18:30 or leave earlier than 21:30.
Student Council is taking an active part in the organization of the dinner, and the Event Planners are busy planning games and amazing activities for the celebration. The students received the invitation on Tuesday. Please note that the feedback is necessary, so the students must confirm their attendance or absence by completing the MS Student Celebration reservation form until Wednesday, November 21. We hope that all students join the MS Christmas Festivities!
Formal dress requirements for the dinner in De Nobili (18:30–19:45):
- Dress (dress-code length—not more than one hand above the knee)
- NO low-cut dresses
- Or skirt (dress-code length—not more than one hand above the knee)
- Or pants (NO jeans)
- Dressy top or Pashmina (shoulders must be covered)
- Shoes: high-heel shoes may not be higher than 5 centimeters
- Pants (NO jeans)
- Dress shoes
- Boys may wear the TASIS suit
Games and Dance in the Palestra (20:00–21:30)
- NO heels higher than 2 centimeters
- Sneakers are acceptable.
TPA Bake Sale a Big Success
The TPA would like to extend a hearty thank you to all the parents who baked treats for this week’s TPA Bake Sale and to all the teachers and staff members who helped out! The students really enjoyed them. We had more than 20 parents bring baked goods and sold more than 245 items. Thanks to all for volunteering and for providing students the opportunity to experience an example of the real American spirit!
Raffle Prize Donations for TASIS Staff
The annual TASIS Staff Christmas Dinner Celebration will be held on Saturday, December 15. As a thank you to the staff for all their hard work during the year, the TPA would like to participate by providing raffle prizes.
Our goal is to provide one raffle prize (valued at CHF 100 or less) from each grade—Pre-K3 to 12th grade—but we need your help! We already received Middle School parents gifts, one for each from the three grades!
If you would like to participate, please contact parents within your grade to coordinate the purchase and collection of the prize. The TPA will create a list of all prizes purchased. Please email your grade's prize to email@example.com so that it can be added to the list. In addition, the TPA will donate 100 TPA Cookbooks for the event.
All raffle prizes will be collected in Casa Fleming on Friday, November 30. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions, and thank you very much for all your support!